Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Waiting For PicoP by Tom Trimbath

Waiting For PicoP by Tom Trimbath
...I’ve been seduced – by technology. So goes the accusation, and I admit there is evidence that it’s true. This week, forced obsolescence and a failing memory meant that I had to get a new cell phone. The good news was that the failing memory wasn’t mine; it was my old cell phone’s SIM card. Even without that failure, my phone had become so old that the cell phone company called to tell me that they were dismantling the hardware that would listen for my calls. I had to get a new phone. I’ve waited this long because I was waiting for a particular phone I’ve heard about and seen, but that hasn’t been released yet. It’s a cell phone that includes a projection TV in basically the same package as a smartphone. I’ve waited for years, not seduced into thinking I needed one, but seduced by the prospect of the disruptive technology and the potential for my investment in the responsible company, MicroVision. Alas, their PicoP phone has yet to reach the market. Alas, MVIS has yet to get me out of debt....